hum⋅ble
–adjective
1.
not proud or arrogant; modest
2.
having a feeling of insignificance, inferiority, subservience, etc.:
3.
low in rank, importance, status, quality, etc.; lowly: of humble origin;
4.
courteously respectful
5.
low in height, level, etc.; small in size: a humble member of the galaxy.
–verb (used with object)
6.
to lower in condition, importance, or dignity; abase.
7.
to destroy the independence, power, or will of.
8.
to make meek: to humble one's heart.
My parents always tried to view their children through humble eyes and really see us the way God saw us - what's 'inside' taking priorty. Going with what we were always taught, we learned to do the same and never make fun of or criticize those different from us, in any manner, because we are all different and beautiful in God's eyes. We were taught to realize that God loves all of us and we are no better than any other human being; we are all equal in God's eyes and should love everyone as God loves us.
I think that humility was probably the most important quality my parents taught us, other than living for Christ. The Christian religion is based around this particular principle. Our lives are to reflect those of our Savior, and who was more humble than Jesus?
I realize that I am nothing without my God. I fall so short of ever receiving blessing from Him and do not deserve everything he's already done for me. I pray that I will never get to the point where I see myself as a righteous creature and never forget that the good in me comes from God and God only.
"Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom" - Proverbs 11:2
"Pride leads to arguments; those who take advice are wise." - Proverbs 13:9
".. But someone is coming soon who is far greater than I am - so much greater that I am not even worthy to be his slave." - John the Baptist, Matthew 3: 11
"... And all of you, serve each other in humility for 'God sets himself against the proud, but he shows favor to the humble.'" - 1 Peter 5:5
"So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and in his good time he will honor you." - 1 Peter 5:6
2 Samuel 7:18-17 (David, man after God's own heart, shows his radical humility)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment